Celebrating God’s faithfulness for over 25 years, Ann Arbor Christian School is the fulfillment of a dream shared by many individuals who hear a calling to establish a vibrant and academically strong school rooted in the Good News of Jesus Christ in Ann Arbor, MI. It was founded on the simple but profoundly life-changing fact that to know and love Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior and the truths that come with that conviction is the greatest gift we can give children. In addition, it would be a school that would draw strength and richness from many church traditions and the core beliefs and values that unite us as the Body of Christ.
At Ann Arbor Christian School, our students learn to see the world through the spectacles of God’s Word and are equipped to live and act in contemporary society as followers of Jesus. Because all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge are hidden in Christ (Colossians 2:3), we believe that there are critical differences between the Biblical and secular viewpoints on any given subject. It is our purpose to instruct our students as to these differences and to equip them with the tools they need to search out and discover these differences for themselves.
In partnership with Christian families, Ann Arbor Christian School offers Christ-centered, academically excellent education that challenges students to live and act in society as committed followers of Jesus Christ.
Vision For Our Students
As a Christian community, we seek to work alongside families and churches to develop students who are:
- Deeply rooted – Students understand and know that their chief end in life is to know, enjoy, and love God and, thus, naturally and automatically see the world and their lives through a historical Christian worldview and conduct every facet of their lives accordingly.
- Well educated – Students complete a first-rate academic program. Students are equipped as truth-seekers with the skills to gather, organize, evaluate, and communicate information with integrity, clarity, intelligence, humility, and conviction.
- Joyful about learning – Students are eager to develop and pursue skills, experiences, and knowledge as means to develop their God-given abilities. Students have a strong understanding and commitment to pursuing growth and excellence in mind, body, and heart.
- Wise and winsome – Students are reflective and know how to use past experiences and acquired knowledge to make discerning choices. Students also present their core values and beliefs in a manner that is clear and firm while honorable and respectful.
- Socially savvy – Students have strong interpersonal skills to effectively navigate different group and social settings and to be leaders in those contexts.
- Faithful in trials – Students endure all circumstances with resilience. Students see their faith as intelligent, defendable, and life-giving and draw on their faith in all circumstances to wisely discern God’s leading and to be salt and light to the world.
- Responsive to their neighbors – Students understand who their neighbors are and have a heart to love and serve them. Students also believe in the power of living and working in community and the concept of “many parts, one body.”
Maintain a Christ-centered focus
- Recognize that Ann Arbor Christian School is Christ’s school and that all school activities are to glorify God.
- Nurture students’ spiritual growth through prayer, worship, and Bible study so they learn to apply Biblical principles to their lives.
- Encourage students to develop a fervent love for the Lord Jesus Christ and a desire to serve Him throughout their lives.
Provide excellent academics
- Recognize each student’s uniqueness, and challenge students to fully develop the spiritual, intellectual, artistic, and physical gifts God has given them.
- Balance teaching of basic skills with units that incorporate many subject areas.
- Guide students toward a Christian worldview by integrating faith into academic subjects.
Challenge teachers and staff to excel
- Offer staff members the opportunity for professional growth.
- Provide salaries and compensation designed to attract and retain highly qualified Christian teachers.
- Encourage teachers to draw appropriate materials from varied resources and adapt curriculum instruction to meet students’ learning needs.
Partner with parents in a Christian community
- Involve parents to actively participate in the education of their children and ensure open communication between parents and teachers.
- Provide opportunities for parents to serve in the day-to-day operation, success, and promotion of the school.
- Build a caring community recognized for loving God and loving our neighbor as ourselves.
Operate the school with integrity and Christian love
- Follow God’s Law and all governmental laws that apply to preschool through 8th grade Christian education and childcare.
- Establish the governing body of the school (the Board) through annual elections.
- Exercise fiscal responsibility through creative stewardship of our community’s resources.